Increased price per tonne for South Africa’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports in 2017

Eltrak banner ad

South Africa’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports have significant fluctuations. However, the 2017 statistic reports show that the country remains for once more the third largest exporter in the world.

Stonenews.eu, after studying the statistic reports of the International Trade Centre and the National Statistical Institutes, is presenting the growth in South Africa’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports between 2016 – 2017 as well as the shares in value and quantity in 2017.

Stonetech banner ad
Stonetech banner ad

South Africa’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports have always been subject to significant fluctuations. From 2001 to 2008, despite large fluctuations, there was a significant increase in value by 208%, in quantity by 38.9% and in price per tonne by 122%.  From 2008 to 2017, the export trend is downward, showing decrease in value by 43.9%, in quantity by 33.1% and in price per tonne by 16.1%. Between 2016 and 2017 there was a decline in exports value by 2.09% and by 8.72% in quantity, increasing though the price per tonne by 7.27%.

In the table below we can see the top ten destinations of South Africa’s Granite Blocks and Slabs according to the 2017 export value shares.

As shown at the table, out of the ten main destinations in 2017, nine outranked Granite Blocks and Slabs with a higher price than in 2016. In particular, it exported to Chinese Taipei with an increased price per tonne by 26.12%, to Croatia by 20.09%, to Poland by 12.91%, to Belgium by 12.49%, to Italy by 7.07%, to Spain by 6.64%, to Romania by 5.17%, to India by 3.83% % and to the US by 2.31%. The exception was China, where it exported in a reduced price per tonne by -10,02%.

In 2017, South Africa exported Granite Blocks and Slabs to 32 countries. 84.7% of export value was under HS Code 251611* and the rest 15.3% under 251612* code.

*The Granite Blocks and Slabs statistics are derived from the following HS Codes (Harmonized System Codes):

251611: Granite, crude or roughly trimmed (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

251612: Granite, merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a square or rectangular shape (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

Source: Stonenews.eu, ITC