India on the top of the world in Granite Blocks and Slabs exports in 2017

Epiroc banner ad

India is the largest exporter of Granite Blocks and Slabs in the world. The 2017 statistics confirm that China is a great factor for India’s export performance.

Stonenews.eu, after studying the statistical results the International Trade Centre and the National Statistical Institutes, is presenting the growth of India’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports between 2016 and 2017 as well as the 2017 shares in value and quantity.

Until 2013 – when there was a record high in value and quantity of exports- India’s granite blocks and slabs exports were constantly growing, mainly due to great increase of exports to China. In 2001, China’s share of the total export value of India’s Granite Blocks and Slabs was 23.55%, while in 2017 it stood at 78.97%. It is clear that China monopolizes India’s exports by determining, due to its size, the country’s total exports of Granite Blocks and Slabs.

In 2017, India exported granite blocks and slabs at the same price as in 2016, although the value of exports increased by + 19.21% and the quantity by + 19.06%.

The following table shows the top ten destinations of India’s Granite Blocks and Slabs according to the shares in export value in 2017.

As seen at the table, in 2017, compared to 2016, India exported Granite Blocks and Slabs at a higher price per tonne to Germany by +115.12%, to the US by +52.21%, to Thailand by +17.07%, to Poland by +12.14%, to Vietnam by +11.95% and to Italy by +4.36%. On the contrary, India exported at a lower price per tonne to Belgium by -51,2%, to Hong Kong by -5,98%, to Chinese Taipei by -2,78% and to China by -1,56%.

In 2017, India exported Granite Blocks and Slabs to 87 countries. 78.9% of export value was under HS Code 251611* and the rest 21.1% under code 251612*.

*Statistic reports of Granite Blocks and Slabs result from the HS Codes (Harmonized System Codes) below:

251611: Granite, crude or roughly trimmed (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

251612: Granite, merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a square or rectangular shape (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

Source: Stonenews.eu, ITC