Top ten destinations for China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports in 2017

Epiroc banner ad

China is one of the largest exporters of Granite Blocks and Slabs in the world. The 2017 statistics show a rise in price per tonne. Let’s find out which were the top ten export destinations according to the shares in export value.

Stonenews.eu, after studying the statistic reports of the International Trade Centre and the National Statistical Institutes, is presenting the growth of China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports between 2016 and 2017 as well as the shares in value and quantity in 2017, according to the destination country.

Stonetechgroup banner ad

Since 2001, there has been a downward trend in China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs total exports as well as significant fluctuations in value and quantity. The price per tonne has been raised despite the significant fluctuations.

Between 2016 and 2017, there was a decrease by -2.28% in value and by -14.2% in quantity, resulting to a rise in price per tonne by +13.89%. The main reason of the decrease was the decline of exports to Chinese Taipei (Taiwan), which since 2008 absorbs most of China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs.

At the table below, we can see the top ten destinations for China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports according to shares in export value in 2017.

As shown at the table, the leading destination for China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs is Chinese Taipei getting 34.13% of total value of exports and 62.81% of quantity. Between 2016 and 2017, the value of exports to Chinese Taipei decreased by -28.97% and the quantity by -19.42%, adversely affecting the price per tonne which declined by -11.84%.

Germany follows with a share of 11.04% in total value of exports and 10.29% in quantity. Between 2016 and 2017, there was a decrease by -8.82% in value of exports and by -13,25% in quantity, positively affecting the price per tonne, which was raised by +5.11%.

Thailand is the third biggest destination counting 7.85% out of the total value of exports and 3.34% out of quantity. Between 2016 and 2017, there was an increase by + 5.96% in value of exports and by + 3.85% in quantity, concluding to a positive effect in price per tonne, which was raised by + 2.03%.

Norway follows having a share of 6.85% in total value of exports and 6.58% in quantity. China’s exports to Norway have been constantly increasing during the last years. In 2017, there was an increase, compared to 2016, by +15.82% in value and +39.36% in quantity. However, the price per tonne had once more a decline by -16.89%.

Until 2006, the Netherlands was the leading destination of China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs. Since then, there has been a constant decline, however in 2016-2017, there was a significant rise in value by +51.37%, in quantity by +40.88% and in price per tonne by +7.43%.

Exports to Italy have always had fluctuations, however in 2016-2017, there was an increase by +8.46% in value and a decrease by -13.92% in quantity, affecting the price per tonne which was raised significantly by +26%.

Tremendous rise for exports to Vietnam between 2016 and 2017: +828.16% in value and +779.43% in quantity, resulting to a +5.54% raise in price per tonne.

An even more impressive increase of exports to Pakistan, achieving a record high. From no to slightest exports in past years, to a rise of +2,400% in value, +1,405% in quantity and +66% in price per tonne between 2016 and 2017.

Japan was one of the most important destination of China’s Granite Blocks and Slabs exports, since 2009 however there have been significant fluctuations. Between 2016 and 2017 there was a decline by -18.63% in value and by -24.67% in quantity, yet affecting in a positive way the price per tonne, which was raised by +8.02%.

Finally, exports to Uzbekistan, which entered the list of China’s export destinations in recent years, were once more on the rise. More specifically, between 2016 and 2017, there was an increase by +341.46% in value and by +414.24% in quantity, adversely affecting the price per tonne, which decreased by -14.15%.

In 2017, China exported Granite Blocks and Slabs to 58 countries. 74.4% of the total export value was under HS Code 251611* and the rest 25.6% under code 251612*.

*The Granite Blocks and Slabs statistic results are derived from the following HS Codes (Harmonized System Codes):

251611: Granite, crude or roughly trimmed (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

251612: Granite, merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a square or rectangular shape (excluding already with the characteristics of setts, curbstones and flagstones).

Source: Stonenews.eu, ITC