Severe decline of Singapore’s marble imports in 2017

Epiroc banner ad

The decline of Singapore’s marble imports in value and quantity during the last years was extended in 2017. However, the unit value per tonne was increased, indicating that Singapore imports Marble Blocks & Slabs of high quality.

Stonenews.eu, after studying the statistic reports of the International Trade Centre and the National Statistical Institutes, is presenting the growth of Singapore’s marble imports between 2016 and 2017 as well as the shares in value and quantity in 2017.

Stonetechgroup banner ad

Marble Blocks & Slabs*

Singapore’s Marble Blocks & Slabs imports, as shown by the statistic reports, are low and have been rapidly falling down since 2011. Between 2010 and 2017 the value of imports decreased by -75,6% and the quantity by -78,4%. However, the price per tonne, despite the significant fluctuations, was raised by +13,1% and remained at particular high levels. In 2017, Singapore imported Marble Blocks & Slabs in higher price per tonne, compared to 2016, by +32,9%, although the import value decreased by – 19,86% and the quantity by -39,7%.

In the table below we can see in brief the ten leading countries that exported Marble Blocks & Slabs to Singapore in 2017 according to the value of imports.

As shown in the table, in 2017, Singapore imported Marble Blocks & Slabs in higher price per tonne, compared to 2016, by +59,87% from Turkey, by +42,51% from China, by +5,28% from Oman and by +2,51% from Spain. On the contrary, it imported in lower price per tonne by -27,12% from Italy and by -9,96% from South Korea. In 2016, there were no imports from Hong Kong, Japan, Indonesia and Chinese Taipei.

In 2017, Singapore imported Marble Blocks & Slabs from 15 countries. 97,7% of the import value was under HS Code 251512*, 2,2% under code 251511* and the rest 0,1% under code 251520*.

Finished Marble Products*

Singapore’s Finished Marble Products imports are low and, as for Marble Blocks & Slabs, there has been a severe decline. Between 2016 and 2017, Singapore imported Finished Marble Products in higher price per tonne by +11,31% although the value of imports decreased by -50,16% and the quantity by -52,23%.

In the table below, we can see in brief the ten leading countries that exported Finished Marble Products to Singapore in 2017 according to the value of imports.

As shown in the table, in 2017, Singapore imported Finished Marble Products in higher price per tonne, compared to 2016, by +50,02% from Malaysia, by +42,09% from India, by +35,31% from Spain, by +15,4% from China, by +3,85% from Greece and by +1,25% from Turkey. On the contrary, it imported in lower price per tonne by -55,61% from Portugal, by -9,51% from Oman and by -1,79% from Italy.

In 2017, Singapore imported Finished Marble Products from 22 countries. 55% of the import value was under HS Code 680291* and the rest 45% under code 680221*.

*The Marble Blocks and Slabs – Finished Marble Products statistics are derived from the following HS Codes (Harmonized System Codes):

251511: Marble and travertine, crude or roughly trimmed

251512: Marble and travertine, merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a square or rectangular shape

251520: Ecaussine and other calcareous monumental or building stone of an apparent specific gravity of >= 2,5, and alabaster, whether or not roughly trimmed or merely cut, by sawing or otherwise, into blocks or slabs of a square or rectangular shape (excluding in the form of granules, chippings or powder, and marble and travertine)

680221: Marble, travertine and alabaster articles thereof, simply cut or sawn, with a flat or even surface (excluding with a completely or partly planed, sand-dressed, coarsely or finely ground or polished surface, tiles, cubes and similar articles of subheading 6802,10, setts, curbstones and flagstones)

680291 Marble, travertine and alabaster, in any form (excluding tiles, cubes and similar articles of subheading 6802.10, imitation jewellery, clocks, lamps and lighting fittings and parts thereof, buttons, original sculptures and statuary, setts, curbstones and flagstones)

 

Source: Stonenews.eu, ITC